For some families, distance learning presented a real opportunity to take that plunge and start schooling at home. This means pulling your children out of the public school system or possibly out of private schools. You have an opening to ‘reimagine’ your family’s education and choose to continue educating at home.
Reasons to Homeschool
The Homeschool Revolution (PDF)
Minnesota families are ditching public schools and finding homeschooling is a challenging but fulfilling alternative. Katherine Kersten explains the reasons why in her article.
Get Out Now (6-minutes)
Compelling reasons homeschooling is a good choice.
While it is understandable to feel inadequate or unqualified, we hope you will see homeschooling as an amazing opportunity to be your children’s primary educational influence; discovering, teaching, and discussing what they are learning through the lens of your family’s values, principles and beliefs.
We’re confident you and your children are going to discover far more together than you anticipated and will find the whole experience exciting rather than scary. We also hope you will experience a marked difference in your children’s overall well-being. You may be finding your children are more rested, refreshed, and able to take the breaks they need when they need them. Many children will be relieved to be free of the peer pressure and social situations at school.
Many content-rich classes are offered through homeschool co-ops and other organizations. We hope the following list of online resources and suggestions will be helpful to you. There are tons of resources available outside of the public schools.
Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com with any questions or suggestions.
Homeschool Conferences and Associations
- MACHE, Minnesota Association of Christian Homeschool Educators
The website has a list of homeschool co-ops (educational or social) around Minnesota.
- MCHEC, Minnesota Catholic Home Educators Conference
- Public School Exit
- BJU Press: Thinking about Homeschooling?
- Cathy Duffy Reviews
Reviews of the most popular curriculum in use by homeschoolers.
- Simply Charlotte Mason: Homeschool help from moms who’ve been there
- Kahn Academy
- RenewaNation: Homeschool Starter Kit
- Hillsdale K-12 Classical Education
Curriculum, Books and Supplies
- Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool: Complete, All Free Curriculum
- Study.com: Over 27,000 video lessons and other resources
- Rainbow Resource Center, Learning Tools for Homes & Schools
- Homeschool Buyers Co-op
- Heppner’s Legacy Home School Resources
Homeschool retail store in Elk River, MN
- Christianbook Online Store
Curriculum by Subject
- Chemistry with Amanda
Free materials including tutorial videos and work problems.
- The Hillsdale 1776 Curriculum
- Drive Thru Adventures (videos)
- The History Shelf
- Institute on the Constitution
- Elementary Reading List (PDF)
An excellent selection of books for first to sixth grade compiled by the Logos School in Moscow, Idaho.
- Great Books List (PDF)
A classic literature for Kindergarten through high school compiled by the Charlemagne Institute.
- Booklist by Subject
A choice of good books to read aloud or independently from Read Aloud Revival.
- Rated Books
A searchable database of books that have been reviewed and rated.
- List of Representative Great Books (PDF)
A selection of college level books from Hillsdale College.
- Turbo Reader by Phyllis Schlafly
User-friendly book designed to help anyone (adults, children, non-English speakers) to read, or to become a better reader.
Activities, Field Trip Ideas
Online Classes (full scope of subjects)
- Christian Liberty
Non-denominational, full service homeschool academy and homeschool materials
- Seton Home Study School
Catholic homeschooling Pre-K to Grade 12
- AOP: Enjoy the Freedom of Online Learning
- Liberty University Online Academy: Accredited K-12
- HSLDA Online Academy
- Hillsdale College: Free online courses for older students & adults
Encouragement and Teaching Philosophies
- Carole Joy Seid: Literature-based approach to life and learning
- Webinar: Great Ideas to Teach Biblical Worldview at Home
Webinar presented by a MN homeschool family