Exploitation of children is a violation of their innocence and basic rights. Exploitation comes in many forms. The MN Child Protection League believes children should be free to grow up in the secure environment of loving families and communities. We will continue to educate, inform and unite people in action to protect children from those who seek to abuse, violate or use them for their own personal interests.
Internet Safety for Children
- Beware of Apps
Warning plus 15 apps parents should know about provided by the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.
- Keep An Eye on Your Children’s Social Media Platforms (PDF)
A warning for parents from the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office with a list of apps.
- Sexually Suggestive Ads Appearing On Children’s Apps
Although this article is from 2017, sexually inappropriate, suggestive ads continue to appear on game apps designed for children as young as 5 years old. World Privacy Forum gives advice about kid apps to help protect your children. This Twitter Post of comments shows some of the disgusting images from ads popping up on these kids apps. (parental viewing only recommended)
- Children as Young as Age 13 Sell Explicit Videos on Sex Site: New Report
Warning: The site Only Fans allows users to create their own material and sell it to subscribers.
- Parent Alert! Schools Offer Erotic Lit to 5 Year Olds through Library Apps! 5 Ways to Protect Your Kids
“Nearly every school-issued device comes with a library app…but one parent alerted us that her kids had EASY access to erotic lit on iPads and Chromebooks issued to kids ages 5-11!”
- Beware of the YouNow App!
- YouTube is Facilitating the Sexual Exploitation of Children, and it’s Being Monetized (20 minute video)
- The School Porn Problem (PDF)
Use this document as a handout or a flyer.
- Safe Online Surfing
Teaching children internet safety in game form.
- Internet Safety 101
Parent guide to Internet dangers such as pornography, cyberbullying and more.
- Rules ‘N Tools Checklist (PDF)
Protecting children with both safely rules and software tools.
- Kids & Tech: Tips for Parents in the Digital Age
- Parenting Against the Internet
What are our kids doing online, and how can we protect them from danger? Porn, blocking apps, depression blogs and more…
- Sextortion Becoming Major Problem with Minor Children
Minnesota Legal Age of Consent
609.342 CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT IN THE FIRST DEGREE
Subdivision 1. Crime defined.
A person who engages in sexual penetration with another person, or in sexual contact with a person under 13 years of age as defined in section 609.341, subdivision 11, paragraph (c), is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree if any of the following circumstances exists:
(a) the complainant is under 13 years of age and the actor is more than 36 months older than the complainant. Neither mistake as to the complainant's age nor consent to the act by the complainant is a defense;
(b) the complainant is at least 13 years of age but less than 16 years of age and the actor is more than 48 months older than the complainant and in a current or recent position of authority over the complainant. Neither mistake as to the complainant's age nor consent to the act by the complainant is a defense;
- What is “Grooming”? (PDF)
“Grooming” is a term meaning desensitizing and lowering the sexual inhibitions of children to make them easy targets for sexual abuse.
Videos by Jaco Booyens, producer of 8 DAYS
- What is Grooming? (7:42 minutes)
- Consent: Grooming Children to Say Yes (5:30 minutes)
- Risk of Trauma (4 minutes)
- Jaco Booyens Concern for Minnesota (43 seconds)
- How public schools groom kids for sexual predators like Epstein and Maxwell
- Pedophiles Are Sharing Grooming Manuals Online, And It’s Perfectly Legal
Includes information on how parents can protect their children.
- The Child Predator Report
According to the most reliable studies, among girls 15 and younger who become pregnant, 60% to 80% of them are impregnated by adult men. This pedophilia is being hidden from law enforcement by mandatory reporting laws being intentionally ignored by clinics providing pregnancy testing and abortion services, and these facilities often actively assist in circumventing the laws.
- Promoting Pedophilia
Pedophilia is an ongoing problem and how many are trying to justify it.
- Child Molestation and the Homosexual Movement
The author, Steve Baldwin, demonstrates conclusively that there is an element of the homosexual culture that thrives on underage boys.
Pornography is a real and present danger to our children. Pornography is easily accessible and can pose mental, emotional and even physical dangers. Pornography and sex trafficking have much in common. Be knowledgeable and proactive to protect your children!
- Why Youth Deserve Protections from Sexually Explicit Material by Dr. Jennifer Brown TEDxBountiful (13 minute video)
TEDx Talks: Dr Brown explains why children’s brains get addicted to misbehavior and visual stimulation like pornography so easily. An important message for parents!
- It’s Time for the Department of Justice to Investigate P*rnhub
Porn, human trafficking and internet safety are related. Pornhub is a major player.
- How Pornography Addition Affects the Teenage Brain – an Infographic
This infographic by HelpYourTeenNow.com illustrates the profound affects pornography has on teenagers and includes warning signs. You will want to take the time to review this insightful illustration.
- About Pornography: A Public Health Crisis
From the National Center on Sexual Exploitation
- Pornography & Public Health Research Summary (PDF)
- Protecting Children in Cyberspace from ProtectKids.com
Excellent resources for understanding the dangers and how to protect our children in our cyber world.
- Is YOUR child watching porn? The devastating effects graphic images of sex on young minds
Timeless advice for parents in our porn saturated culture.
- Sexual Assault Expert Warns of Heartbreaking Trend Among Children
With pornography being so widespread and easily accessible, more and more children are viewing and subsequently acting out what they see on vulnerable children.
- Protect Young Minds: Prepare and Protect
Preparing your child including a Quick Start Guide.
- Convergence: Uniting Leaders to Combat Sexual Exploitation in the Mobile Age
Videos relevant for today that address pornography, sex trafficking and how to mobilize to combat exploitation.
- DOJ publishes Reisman’s full Playboy study
This study remains relevant as our society moves from Playboy and similar magazines to Internet porn sites, videos, and so much more.
Have you wanted to talk to your children about pornography but weren’t sure how? Good Pictures Bad Pictures: Porn-Proofing Today’s Young Kids is a great resource to read to your children to start the discussion.
Order through our CPL store.
The Porn Pandemic: The Devastating Effects on Children & Families
The Human Trafficking of children is undeniably one of the most reprehensible methods of exploiting a child, and the threat is ever-increasing. The MN Child Protection League works to alert people to this threat and provide resources to help parents protect their children.
Research indicates that children as young as 12 years of age are being recruited into the commercial sex industry. Minnesota ranks 13th in sex trafficking – nationwide. That statistic alone sounds the alarm for every parent to be on high alert in order to ensure their children are kept safe while at school, work or play.
Following the bulleted information below is a section of videos to watch and share. Rather than decrease, sex trafficking seems to be on the rise. Be informed and help safe guard our children!
- What Human Trafficking Really Is
- Signs of Sex Trafficking and How to Report (PDF)
- Sign the Petition: Shut Down Pornhub and Hold Its Executives Accountable for Aiding Trafficking
- Veterans for Child Rescue
Founder Craig Sawyer: outlines ways you can take action to fight child trafficking, producer of the documentary Contraland: America’s Children Have Become The New Commodity
- How does your state rate?
• Toolkit and Reports from Protected Innocence Challenge
• Trafficking in persons reports from US Department of State
- Normalization of Sexual Harm Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Child Predator Report
A chilling report with actual cases, tapes and warnings. Parents, a must read. Among girls 15 and younger who become pregnant, 60% to 80% of them are impregnated by adult men. Pedophilia is on the rise. The victims are our children.
- Human Trafficking on Your Campus (PDF)
Now anyone can be a target, even the person you least expect. What parents can watch out for and how families can question schools.
Hearing and seeing often makes the urgency of this epidemic in our society and across the globe more poignant. In addition to the videos below, there are two excellent movies concerning sex trafficking that are worth watching.
- Jaco Booyens: Trafficking Epidemic Fueled by Lockdowns, Police Cuts, and a Porous Border (49 minute video including transcript)
Booyens breaks down the causes of the child sex trafficking crisis in America and the links he sees between sex trafficking, the pornography industry, and the spread of comprehensive sex ed curricula across the United States.
- 8 DAYS
As the oldest brother of a trafficking survivor, Jaco Booyens turned abolitionist and produced and directed the feature film 8 DAYS.
Jaco Booyens Interview 8 Days Human Trafficking
Jaco Booyens talks about his film 8 DAYS, the challenge of human sex trafficking and how the film can raise awareness.
- Caged No More
Inspired by real events, the movie is the story of Aggie Prejean, on a desperate search to find her two goddaughters who have been kidnapped by their sinister father. As the details unravel, it’s discovered he has taken them overseas to be sold into slavery. A drama meant to engage and educate audiences on the realities of human trafficking.
In this video Tim Ballard of Operation Underground Railroad explains the issue of human trafficking and how to protect your children from it.
(4 minute video)
A Stolen Life: Adolescent Human Trafficking and Exploitation (PDF)
Minnesota ranks 13 th in the nation in sex trafficking. Unfortunately the issues presented in this video are still relevant and sobering as Donna Hughes, PhD looks at this dangerous and harmful industry.